Having a good sleep and stress relief are both possible with aromatherapy. Essential oils are excellent and soothing the nervous system. Find out which oils are best to start with and have a great sleep.
Insomnia is the poster child of aromatherapy.
If any condition has been studied and restudied to see the affects of essential oils, it is insomnia, and the oil of the day is lavender.
However, as effective as lavender is to promote a good night’s sleep, there are many other oils which can be equally beneficial to relieving sleep disorders.
Why Can’t you Sleep?
The first factor to look at with sleep disorders is the root cause of the insomnia.
Can the cause be corrected by a behavioral change (eating earlier in the day, reducing alcohol or caffeine consumption, etc.)?
Are your sleep problems resulting from a physiological imbalance? Physiological imbalances may include decreased melatonin production, a natural result of aging, excessive stress, depression, long term use of some medications, chronic pain, etc.
If there is a cause below the insomnia, then it is always best to address that cause in addition to the insomnia.
To begin, assess your daily routines and make any behavioral changes which make sleep as easy as possible. Exercise, eat early in the evening, avoid stimulants, etc. Make everything in your bedroom ready to suggest sleep, so put away any work, business materials or anything that stimulates your mind.
Want Excellent Sleep and Stress Relief?
Choose one of the following oils and give it a try. If it doesn’t give you relief, then try the next one. Aromatherapy gives quick results, so suffering night after night, hoping that an oil will work will not usually change the results. Each body is different so you may need to find the oil especially suited to you.
- Lavender. Lavender is the first oil to try for both sleep and stress relief. It has been used for centuries for insomnia. Try putting a few drops on a tissue next to your pillow and see if your sleep improves.
- Chamomile. Chamomile has been used for a long time to soothe children. It is calming and relaxing and combats depression and stress.
- Jasmine. Jasmine is technically an “absolute” and not an essential oil. Interestingly, the flowers must be picked at night for maximum fragrance. Jasmine is used for anxiety, depression and insomnia, as well as just because it smells nice.
- Melissa. Melissa has been used to heal the heart or the emotions. It is calming and uplifting and balances the emotions. If you can’t sleep because your heart is aching, give Melissa a try.
- Valerian. Valerian is widely recognized as a mild sedative and sleep-aid, including by the German Commission E, a German government regulatory agency that has studied herbs for efficacy and safety. For many nervous conditions, you can try valerian.
- Peace & Calming blend. This is a marvelous blend which smells delicious (it contains tangerine) and both uplifts and calms. I diffuse this blend in my massage room before giving a massage to create a restful environment. This blend is often used with overactive pets and children because it is so lovely and effective. Rub a drop or two on your arms and chest and smell it as you sleep.
- Dream Catcher blend. This blend helps open you for creative dreams while inhibiting negative ones. I would try this blend if my sleep was not satisfying. Use Dream Catcher to stimulate creativity while sleeping.
How to Use Essential Oils to Improve Sleep and Stress Relief
There are several ways to use these oils to improve your sleep and stress relief. You can inhale the aroma by putting a drop on a tissue near your bed, or using a diffuser. Any way you can enjoy the scent will bring the relaxing effects to your body. Inhalation is most recommended for emotional support.
You can also use the oils topically. Rub a drop or two on your palms and then rub it on your arms. You can put a drop on your chest so that you smell it during the night. If you want the benefits of the oil, but you don’t want to smell it, rub some on the soles of your feet. The oils can penetrate your skin and soothe your nerves.
Aromatherapy can be used for emotional, spiritual and physical relief of all your stress symptoms. You can use them everyday for many common tasks. Anytime you inhale the oils, you receive the benefits of them.