The special role mothers have as caregivers both nurtures us and creates stressed moms.
Mothers are here to care for others.
We are hard wired to serve others. This trait makes our stress unique. Unlike other stressed people, when we need to reduce stress, we must not just disengage from our duties and responsibilities, but we must disengage from our natural inclination to care for those we love over the needs of ourselves.
Another way to view it: Caring for ourselves is one way to care for our loved ones.
Stressed Moms are everywhere.
At the grocery store, a woman in business clothes pushes the cart with her 5 year old, trying to sound interested in the story about the cereal. The tensed lips, and the overly strong “Mommy really needs your cooperation now.” are the give-aways. She has 35 things to do before she gets home, and she is quickly feeling like she’s failing at all 35.
Our modern life has created this stressed mom, and while getting out of the cycle of stress is difficult for everyone, it is particularly difficult for a mother. The last thing she needs is to think that she must take a drawing class to relax. When would it be? Before or after the grocery store?
The Unique Problem of Stressed Moms:
- We serve. We give. We help.
- Because so many people rely on us, when a stressed mom needs to take time for herself, she feels like others will not get what they need in order for her to get what sheneeds.
- A mother’s brain is a never ending “things to do” list. Another way to say this is that a mother is never done with her chores. Unlike an executive who can complete a project, a stressed mom always has more to do. There is no project completion party.
- As the snowball of stress grows, many mothers feel more stress delegating and instructing her family to help, than to do it. Lacking a system of help at home, many stressed moms just grow more stressed.
- Like all mothers before us, moms are the heart of the family. Now, many mothers must be the brains at work as well.
- A modern mother is disconnected from the woman’s community. Even stay-at-home-mothers do not have the companionship and support of other moms. My 80 year old friend tells me about how she would go to a fiend’s house and work together during the day to complete their tasks. For many women today, their closest women’s community is watching Oprah.
To find out more about Stressed Moms, please view the resources below.
- Tips for Moms: When mothers are stressed, you can run from one task to another. It’s hard to remember how to unwind. Ten quick tips for moms to relax and reduce stress.
- Humorous Stress Tips for Moms: Need to some stress tips? Try these funny tips for moms. Get a fresh look at unwinding.
- A Stressed Pregnant Mom can affect her Baby’s Immune System: A Stressed pregnant mom may increase her child’s chance of getting asthma. Stress is a social pollutant to the unborn child.
- More Stress in Women than in Men: Stress in women is more than in men, the University of Arizon, Tucson, reports. Why should you care about this newsflash?
- Trouble Sleeping? How’s your Marriage?: Unhappy marriages mean sleeping for women is difficult, a study reports. How can this obvious information be helpful to you?